Sunday 20 April 2014

Eleanor Franklin Egan (1877 - 1925) - American War Correspondent

I found out about Eleanor through reading a post on a WW1 commemorative Facebook group page.

A little research found the website www.findagrave.com  and it was there that I discovered Eleanor's fascinating life story, beautifully written by Deborah Gentit Vierno.   I contacted Deborah and she gave me permission to write up a panel for my commemorative exhibition project.   Many thanks indeed Deborah - I will of course credit you.

Eleanor, who was born in Lawrence County, Illinois, USA, apparently became the first American woman war correspondent when she covered the Pogroms in Russia in 1903 for "Leslie's Weekly", an American publication.

Definitely an Inspirational Woman.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=33389959